- The System of the World, by Neal Stephenson OMG
- The Two Towers and The Return of the King, by J.R.R. Tolkien
- Texts from Jane Eyre, by Mallory Ortberg
- The Princess and the Pony, by Kate Beaton
- Cecil, the Pet Glacier, by Matthea Harvey
- “The White Album,” by Joan Didion
- Angels in America, by Tony Kushner (reread)
- Can’t We Talk About Something More Pleasant?: A Memoir, by Roz Chast. Reviewed.
- Fun Home, by Alison Bechdel. Reviewed.
- Are You My Mother?, by Alison Bechdel
- Tomboy, by Liz Prince
- In the Blood, by Suzan-Lori Parks
- Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two, by Jack Thorne, based on a story by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany, and Jack Thorne
- Alan Mendalsohn: The Boy from Mars, by Daniel Pinkwater
- Equal Rites, by Terry Pratchett
- Wyrd Sisters, by Terry Pratchett
- The Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett
It got a little escapist there at the end. I should note that this list is somewhat incomplete–it doesn’t contain, for example, several nonfiction reference books I read, nor the three times I re-read HST’s obituary of Richard Nixon.
Best book I read: Probably The System of the World, which is itself the third part of a trilogy. Is it 2,400 pages of fanfiction about Isaac Newton, Gottfried Leibniz, and the invention of the calculus? A treatise on globalization and economics? An in-depth look at the difficult political transition between Queen Anne and King George I? A joyful romp around the world with the Royal Society? All of the above? Totally worth reading, whatever it is. Someday I want to meet Neal Stephenson so I can give him a high five.
|New Years Day Dash||Jan 1||5 mi||39:49|
|Freeze for Food 5k / 10k||Jan 23||5 km / 10 km||26:57 / 49:14|
|LMR 20k||May 7||20 km||1:48:47|
|Ice Age 50 half marathon||May 14||13.1 mi||2:01:23|
|Blue Mounds 18k||June 4||18 km||1:55:24|
|Dances with Dirt||July 9||13.1 mi||2:11:13|
|Madison Mini Marathon||Aug 20||13.1 mi||2:07:22|
|Safe Harbor Labor Day Dash||Sept 5||10 km||55:24|
|North Face Endurance Challenge||Sept 18||13.1 mi||2:18:19|
|Indian Lake Trail Race||Oct 1||12 km||1:07:49|
|Fall 15k||Oct 16||15 km||1:19:17|
|McCarthy Park Trail Race||Oct 30||18 km||1:39:46|
|Wolf Pack Trail race||Nov 13||29 mi||5:29:30|
|Berbee Derby||Nov 24||5 km||36:47|
Best finish (in terms of pace): Freeze for Food 10k (7:56 pace); New Years Day Dash (7:58 pace); Fall 15k (8:32 pace)
Best finish (in terms of place): Wolf Pack (2nd woman [of two], 8th overall); Fall 15k (3rd in age group, 4th woman of 27); Freeze for Food 5k/10k (6th in age group in both).