I am just cranking out the apple-based desserts. I also made apple sauce. And guess what – there’s still apples left.
This first cake is adapted from here. I sort of de-veganized it.
- 1 banana, frozen, thawed (in microwave), mashed
- 2 apples, cut into pieces
- 2 T brown sugar
- 2 T water
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 2 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 c. water
- 3/4 c. orange-pineapple juice
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. white sugar
- 2 T. cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- a few T. buttermilk, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Mix ingredients listed under “fruit”. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, spices). Mix wet ingredients (everything else) excluding buttermilk. Mix wet into dry, using buttermilk to thin the batter as needed. Fold in apples.
- Put in a greased pan. I used a bundt pan. Adjust the cooking time if you used a different type of pan.
- Bake about 45 minutes. Cool for several minutes before turning cake out.
Chandra’s Apple Cake
- 2 c. flour (I used whole wheat today, it doesn’t matter too much)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 c. sugar (I used 1 c white and 1/2 c brown)
- 1/2 c. oil (can be replaced with butter, margarine, or 1/4 c. of any of those plus 1/4 c. apple sauce if you want to be healthy)
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 c. (soy) milk (I just use skim)
- 4 c. apples (about 4 medium-sized apples, optionally peeled and sliced fairly thinly)
- optional 1/2 c. raisins (I’ve never tried this, that I recall)
- 2 tsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix dry ingredients in one bowl and wet ingredients in another. Grease a 13×9″ pan. Cut up the apples.
- When the oven is done preheating and everything is ready to go, mix the wet and dry ingredients well. Add the vinegar and mix quickly. Mix in the apples. Put in pan, spread out, and put it in the oven.
- Bake approximately 45 minutes, until a knife comes out clean. If it’s a little underdone, no one will die (no eggs, yay), so don’t worry too much if you are having trouble deciding if it’s done.
I thought the cake with the bananas was better. Next time more bananas. Maybe also some dates.